TrueOS is the successor to PC-BSD.
TrueOS® is based on the legendary security and stability of FreeBSD. TrueOS® follows FreeBSD Current, with the latest drivers, security updates, and packages available. Also, our brand new driver package brings in support for newer Intel graphics chipsets and hardware. We pride ourselves on providing industry leading features like Personacrypt, which allows encrypting your user home directory and carrying it to other TrueOS® machines. TrueOS® also supports GELI full disk encryption, keeping your data secure even in the case of physical theft. So go ahead and give us a try. If you hit any snags along the way, we are glad to help.
Many are very familiar with the name PC-BSD® and may be wondering why we changed the name. Although it’s a household name for so many, the developers realized this was a time for a new name that would better convey our message. Lead developer Kris Moore had this to say: “We’ve already been using TrueOS® for the server side of PC-BSD®, and it made sense to unify the names. PC-BSD® doesn’t reflect server or embedded well. TrueOS® Desktop/Server/Embedded can be real products, avoids some of the alphabet soup, and gives us a more catchy name.” One important lesson learned from going to conferences is that people can have a hard time remembering the acronym that makes up our name, which is not a good place to start with marketing a product. We’re confident the TrueOS® name will allow people to quickly identify the project. Subsequently, we will be able to convey our brand message in a better and more unified way.
TrueOS® provides the following features:
- Easy installation: To install either a graphical desktop or
command-line server, simply insert the installation media, reboot the
system to start the installer, and answer a few questions in the
- Automatically configured hardware: Video, sound, network, and
other devices are configured automatically during installation.
- Intuitive desktop interface: TrueOS® installs the Lumina®
desktop, but additional desktop environments can be installed to
support day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy software management: With AppCafe, installing,
upgrading, and uninstalling software is safe and easy.
- Lots of software available: AppCafe can be used to install
software ported to FreeBSD (currently over 26,100 applications).
- Easy to update: TrueOS® provides a built-in Update Manager
which provides notifications of available updates. This utility makes
it easy to apply operating system security fixes, bug fixes, and
system enhancements, as well as upgrade to newer versions of the
operating system or installed software.
- Virus-free: TrueOS® is unaffected by viruses, spyware, or other
- No defragmentation: TrueOS® hard drives do not need to be
defragmented and are formatted with OpenZFS, a self-healing filesystem.
- Laptop support: Provides power saving, swap space encryption, and
automatic switching between wired and wifi network connections.
- Secure environment: TrueOS® provides a pre-configured firewall
and a built-in host-based Intrusion Detection System.
- Easy system administration: TrueOS® provides many graphical tools
for performing system administration tasks.
- Localization: TrueOS® supports a variety of native languages and
- Vibrant community: TrueOS® has a friendly and helpful community.
Here is a complete list of all distributions available.