Slax 5.1.8 Server (i386)
|Add to your custom collection:|
|Price: US $2.99|
SLAX is fast and beautiful Linux operating system which fits on small (3.14") CD-ROM disc.
It runs directly from the CD (or USB) without installing. The Live CD described here is based on
the Slackware Linux distribution and uses Unification File System (also known as unionfs),
allowing read-only filesystem to behave as a writable one, saving all changes to memory.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
SLAX is not pretentious, nevertheless it requires some minimal hardware to run properly. It depends
on what do you wish to use SLAX for, of course. The most important thing is memory. You need at least
32 MB of RAM to boot slax.
New SLAX 5 is the most inovative and promissing SLAX ever. It switched to 2.6 kernel line.
Zisofs compression was replaced by SquashFS, which provides better compression ratio and higher
read speed. Ovlfs (which was the most amazing and exciting feature specific only for SLAX) was
replaced by unionFS. And finally, slax-installer GUI was created.
Version 5.1.8 includes:
- Linux kernel 2.6 offering excellent hardware support
- the newest ALSA sound drivers
- ndiswrapper for loading Windows drivers for WIFI cards
- madwifi drivers for native support for WIFI cards (Multiband Atheros)
- X11 (xorg) Xwindow system, supporting many gfx cards and wheel mice automatically
- KDE 3.4, an excellent desktop software
- webconfig feature allowing you to save your session data to slax' web
A SLAX-boot CD (only a 5MB ISO image) designed to boot SLAX from USB keys in case your BIOS doesn't
support it. Users can just plug in the USB key with SLAX data to boot from this CD and it can also be
used to boot SLAX directly from an ISO file. Changes made in 5.1.8: added KDE 3.5.4, recompiled with
some Slackware 11 fixes; better handling of booting from USB devices; added NTFS-3g to fully support
writing to NTFS partitions; added slaxsave.zip to SLAX CD, containing pre-built loop file systems.
List of New Features:
- Added KDE 3.5.4 with Slackware 11 fixes for media:/ URL in konqueror
- probeusb parameter now sleeps delay_use+1 seconds to wait for USB devices
- (this usually defaults to 6 seconds)
- fixed fuse libraries, which were missing in rc1 version
- added newest NTFS-3g beta version, NTFS writing now works, I hope
To find more information on this distribution please visit
For the source go to:
To view all product options click here