Puppy Linux 8.0 CD (i386)
You can find this distribution in the following Collections:
|Add to your custom collection:
|Catalog#: 52844||Catalog#: U52844||Catalog#: B52844|
|Platform: i386||Platform: i386||Platform: i386|
|CD's: 1||Media: USB Drive||Media: USB Drive & CD|
|Price: US $1.49
||Price: US $13.99
||Price: US $15.99|
Puppy is extraordinarily small, yet quite full featured. Puppy boots
into a ramdisk, and that's it, the whole caboodle runs in RAM.
Unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD,
Puppy in its entirety loads into RAM. This means that all applications
start in the blink of an eye and respond to user input instantly. Puppy
Linux has the ability to boot off a flash card or any USB memory device,
CDROM, Zip disk or LS/120/240 Superdisk, floppy disks, internal hard drive.
It can even use a multisession formatted CD-R/DVD-R to save everything back
to the CD/DVD with no hard drive required at all.
PAE vs. non-PAE
PAE stands for Physical Address Extension - 32-bit systems with more than 4GB should use the PAE version. For systems with less than 4GB, the non-PAE is recommended. You may want to get both versions. There are slacko and lucid puppy versions - see PuppyLinux.org for more information.
- Small size! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features
- 'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
- Ability to run entirely from RAM, making it unusually fast and particularly relevant to modern PCs with solid state CF drives as used in Netbooks
- Very low minimum system requirements
- Boot times, well under a minute
- Usability and Compatibility
- Complete range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games and image editors. Extra software in the form of dotpets and dotpups. There is a Puppy Software Installer included
- Puppy is easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Hardware is automatically detected. You will often find, whereas on other operating systems you had to install extra driver software to get your particular device functioning, Puppy will succesfully detect and install the driver without prompting.
To find more information on this distribution please visit
For the source go to:
To view all product options click here