Knoppix 8.2.0 (i486) DVD
You can find this distribution in the following Collections:
|Add to your custom collection:
|Catalog#: 52586||Catalog#: U52586||Catalog#: B52586|
|Platform: i486||Platform: i486||Platform: i486|
|DVD's: 1||Media: USB Drive||Media: USB Drive & DVD|
|Price: US $2.49
||Price: US $14.99
||Price: US $16.99|
Live DVD Collection Extended
Live DVD Collection
DVD Collection-32 bit
KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of
GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards,
SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the
desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software
product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression,
the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
"Microknoppix" is a complete rewrite of the KNOPPIX boot system with the following features:
- High compatibility with its Debian base: Aside from configuration files, nothing gets changed in Debians standard installation.
- Accelerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast. The slowest factor is still udev, start time is reduced to about half compared to versions 5.x.
- LXDE is used as graphical environment, which is a very slim and fast desktop with extremely short starttime and low resource requirements. Because of its GTK2 base, LXDE works together nicely with screenreader Orca.
- Amount of installed software has been greatly reduced in this first CD-version, so that custom remasters based on CD are possible again. In general, there are much fewer dependencies for the KNOPPIX-specific components, so that even small remasters, 256MB and less, can be created (hence the "Micro" part).
- Network configuration is being handled by NetworkManager with nm-applet in graphics mode, and textual GUIs in textmode (compatible to Debians /etc/network/interfaces specification, but without ifup/ifdown).
- A persistent image for saving personal settings and additionally installed programs, KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img, is supported on the boot device. That way, even the boot system and startup scripts can be changed in the persistent image.
A.D.R.I.A.N.E. (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment) is a talking menu system, which is supposed to make work and internet access easier for computer beginners, even if they have no sight contact to the computers monitor. A graphical environment with also talking programs and arbitrary magnification using compiz-fusion, is another option.
To find more information on this distribution please visit
For the source go to:
To view all product options click here