Damn Small Linux 3.1 (i386)
|Add to your custom collection:|
|Price: US $2.99|
DSL is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:
Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
Boot from a USB drive
Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run "inside"
Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal
Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your
computer can be!)
Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize
DSL was originally developed as an experiment to see how many usable desktop
applications can fit inside a 50MB live CD. It was at first just a personal
tool/toy. But over time Damn Small Linux grew into a community project with
hundreds of development hours put into refinements including a fully automated
remote and local application installation system and a very versatile backup
and restore system which may be used with any writable media including a hard
drive, a floppy drive, or a USB device.
DSL has a nearly complete desktop, and many command line tools. All applications
are chosen with the best balance of functionality, size and speed. Damn Small
also has the ability to act as an SSH/FTP/HTTPD server right off of a live CD.
In our quest to save space and have a fully functional desktop we've made many
GUI administration tools which are fast yet still easy to use.
New updates for version 3.1
- Converted 54 Lua and Lua/Fltk programs to Lua 5.1.1 Fltk 1.1 via MurgaLua interface.
- Updated sqlite to 3.3.6
- Made unionfs the default boot. Use "legacy" option to skip.
- Improved mount tool for "after boot" pendrive support & sort order & missing devices.
- Updated hard drive install for consistent fstab - cdrom & floppy
- Updated hard drive install - lilo to partition instead of MBR to support GAG bootloader.
- Updated frugal lilo - dropped hda requirement & lilo to partition to support GAG bootloader.
- Improved frugal_grub.sh to support Poormans via Bootfloppy installs.
- Improved frugal_lilo.sh to support Poormans via Bootfloppy installs.
- Improved dsl-hdinstall & dsl-installboot to support Poormans via Bootfloppy installs.
- Updated mkdosswapfile to support Poormans via Bootfloppy.
- New boot option 'dosswapfile' to autoscan or specify dosswapfile.
- New boot option 'fuse' to load upon boot the fuse system.
- New License section to "Getting Started" document.
- Changed mydslPanel, dpkg-restore & gnu-utils made consistent with other extensions to use /opt/.mydsl_dir.
- Changed mkmydsl script -boot-load-size 4 for beter hardware compatibility.
- Improved root's PATH, changes .fluxbox/menu .xtdesktop/Aterm.lnk, and /root/.bashrc
- Improved Antiword fonts.
- Added right-click to MyDSL Icon for easy UCItool access.
- Changed color escape codes to echo commands.
- Made mydsl boot option consistent with restore boot option.
- Enhanced exitcheck to warn if no backup device when requested to save special settings.
- Enhanced .torsmorc for ACPI battery indicator - BAT1
- Updated .fluxbox/menu & .jwmrc for recent menu changes.
- Added TMPDIR environment variable.
- New theme - envane
To find more information on this distribution please visit
For the source go to:
To view all product options click here